Recently, the St Stephen’s Sunday Club raised £120 from the sale of home-made marzipan fruits and peppermint creams for Save the Children’s Refugee Fund. This is enough money to buy nearly five weeks of food for a child.
During 2016, St Stephen’s Church will be supporting the ministry of Doug and Jacqui Marshall, who are working with asylum seekers and refugees in Malta. Their work is sponsored by the International Association for Refugees and the CMS (Church Mission Society).
The Marshalls moved permanently to Malta in 2014 and are working alongside local churches and NGOs.
On 26th November, St Stephen’s Church officially re-opened, after having undergone six months of renovation.
Starting on 9th June, the church building was closed and worship services were transferred to the St Stephen’s Community Centre.
The renovation was supervised by Stuart Pearce, Conservation Surveyor and Director of CCD, the Chartered Architects and Interior Designers; and was carried out thanks to the excellent contributions of Simon Watson (F. Watson and Son Ltd.), Vincent Smith (Guernsey Electricity) and their teams.
The church has now been re-wired, re-plastered and re-decorated, and the results are stunning!
Fr John Moore was instituted and inducted as Vicar of the Parish of St Stephen on 26th November.
The Right Reverend Trevor Willmott, the Bishop of Dover, presided over the ceremony which was attended by the Deputy Bailiff of Guernsey, members of the Deanery of Guernsey, local clergy and licensed lay ministers, ecumenical representatives and well-wishers from all over the island.
Members of Fr John’s former congregation (St Michael’s Church in Paris, France) also came to the event.
The ceremony was followed by an elegant reception held in the St Stephen’s Community Centre.
The Guernsey Post has issued a set of seven Christmas stamps depicting some of the stained glass windows produced for St Stephen’s Church by William Morris, the English textile designer, artist, writer and socialist (1834-1896). Photos of the windows were taken by photographer Carl Symes.
37p – Adoration of the Magi
42p – The Annunciation
56p – Angels sitting above the Kingdom
57p – The Crucifixion
62p – Twelve Apostles
68p – Kingdom of Heaven
77p – God in Majesty
From Monday 25th May until Saturday 6th June, St Stephen’s organised a special exhibition to mark its 150th anniversary.
The exhibition, which was set up within the church, provided information about the history of the building, people, ceremonies, services and special occasions. Photographs, film, music, memorabilia and models in costumes of the day brought the past back to life as St Stephen’s was decorated in Victorian style.
During the week of the exhibition, two special talks were offered:
The week finished with a Victorian Tea Party and Fête, which was held on Saturday in the garden of the church.
On 6th January 2015, St Stephen’s celebrated the 150th anniversary of its first service, which took place on The Feast of Epiphany, 1865. A celebratory Mass was celebrated by the Right Revd Trevor Willmott, the Bishop of Dover, assisted by Senior Vice Dean The Revd Kevin Northover and Junior Vice Dean The Revd Mike Keirle.
The Mass was attended by His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor, Air Marshall Peter Walker, CB, CBE, Mrs Lynda Walker and the Bailiff Sir Richard Collas.